Recipe for Fragrant Pomelo Scallop Cups
The Suixiju Gastronomic Manual says, “Scallops are the most delicious,” and that they are; “fresh and crispy, the best of seafood.” So over the centuries, scallops have gained a revered status in Chinese culture and an elegant name that translates to “precious jade post.” Whether fresh or sun-dried, scallops often appear in Chinese sauces and dishes as a top ingredient to generate the xian (umami) taste. This uniquely flavoured recipe for pomelo scallop cups uses the fruity aroma of passion fruit and fragrant pomelo to remove the fishy smell of scallops, neutralize the thickness of the cream, and keep the seafood tasting fresh and sweet.
Recipe for Pomelo Scallop Cups ( 8 small cups )
1 tablespoon Huadiao wine
1 small onion
190g heavy whipping cream
70g plain yogurt
1 passion fruit
2 segments honey pomelo
1 small green onion, chopped
Juice of ⅛ lemon
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1g black pepper
1. Wash the scallops well, pat dry with a paper towel, then marinate in Huadiao wine for 15 minutes. Heat oil in a pan and fry scallops on both sides over medium heat until golden.
2. Finely chop the small onion, mash the garlic, and fry together in butter. Finely chop the green onion and set aside.
3. Mix the cream, yogurt, garlic, onion, sugar, lemon juice, black pepper, and salt.
4. Crush the pistachios and cashews. Toast them in a pan with no oil on medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden and aromatic.
5. Peel the membrane off the pomelo segments and break the pulp into 1cm pieces.
6. Cut the passion fruit in half, scoop out the pulp with a spoon and place in a bowl.
7. Put the dish together in small cups starting with ¾-inch-thick cream mixture at the bottom.
8. Then sprinkle a quarter-inch layer of chopped nuts, followed by another half inch of cream mixture sprinkled with pomelo and pulp of ⅛ of the passion fruit per bowl.
9. Finish the cups with 1 fried scallop each; sprinkle with green onion and serve.