An Asparagus Treat: Jasper Hollow Pillow
Spring and summer bring fresh asparagus spears. Scrape them into thin flakes, roll them up, and drizzle with sweet and sour sauce. It’s crispy, refreshing, and offers up a surprisingly pleasant bouquet.
Asparagus Recipe: Jasper Hollow Pillow ( serves 4 )
10 thick green asparagus spears
2 litres water
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1½ tablespoons steamed fish soy sauce
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
½ teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1. Use a peeler to scrape the asparagus spears into long strips.
2. Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water, set aside.
3. Boil 2 litres of water with salt and oil.
4. Put the strips in water and blanch for 1 minute,
then remove from water.
5. Roll them into small hollow rolls and
arrange on plate.
6. Combine steamed fish soy sauce, white vinegar, sugar,
salt, 2 tablespoons of water, and sesame oil in a small
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Thicken by adding cornstarch.
9. Pour over asparagus.
Discover more delicious recipes in our Food & Beverage section.