Spring and summer bring fresh asparagus spears. Scrape them into thin flakes, roll them up, and drizzle with sweet and sour sauce. It’s crispy, refreshing, and offers up a surprisingly pleasant bouquet.
Asparagus Recipe: Jasper Hollow Pillow ( serves 4 )
10 thick green asparagus spears
2 litres water
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1½ tablespoons steamed fish soy sauce
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
½ teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1. Use a peeler to scrape the asparagus spears into long strips.
2. Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water, set aside.
3. Boil 2 litres of water with salt and oil.
4. Put the strips in water and blanch for 1 minute,
then remove from water.
5. Roll them into small hollow rolls and
arrange on plate.
6. Combine steamed fish soy sauce, white vinegar, sugar,
salt, 2 tablespoons of water, and sesame oil in a small
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Thicken by adding cornstarch.
9. Pour over asparagus.
Discover more delicious recipes in our Food & Beverage section.