Exclusive Daikon Radish Recipe: Nourish Yourself This Spring
For the solar term Waking of Insects, March 5–19
In the early spring of March, the increasingly bright sunshine makes worms sleeping in the soil and the various hibernating animals feel the long-lost warmth. As they become active, this is the signal that the Waking of Insects solar term (March 5-20) has begun. This daikon radish recipe is a great choice to help the body remove the coldness accumulated in winter, while nourishing the spleen and stomach.
The skin of the daikon radish has a slightly spicy flavor, which can regulate qi, reduce phlegm, relieve cough, and fight bacteria, so be careful not to peel the radish.
In this daikon radish recipe, we pair the daikon radish with shrimp and a rich, appetizing sauce. Fresh and delicious, this meal has the flavour of early spring.
½ daikon radish
1 teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
6 tablespoons white sugar
6 tablespoons water
¼ lime juice
100 g heavy cream
2 tablespoons canola oil
½ clove garlic
A pinch of Provence mixed seasoning herbs
A pinch of black pepper
1 teaspoon white sugar
½ teaspoon table salt
¼ lime juice
1. Wash the daikon radish, keep the skin, and cut it into 1 mm thick strips. You can do this step with a peeler. Add salt, mix well, and let it sit for 15 minutes, then drain the water. Rinse three times with clean water and squeeze dry.
2. Mix rice vinegar, sugar, water, and the lime juice. Soak the radish slices in it, seal it and leave it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. Crush the garlic paste, place it in a bowl, add the Provence seasoning herbs, and mix well. Heat the oil until it starts to smoke, pour it over the mashed garlic, add heavy cream, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, ¼ lime juice, a little crushed black pepper, and mix well.
4. Head and devein the shrimp. Peel off the shell, except the tail. Add butter to a pan and fry quickly on high heat until golden brown on both sides.
5. Take out the shrimp, wrap each with a slice of radish, and dip it in the prepared creamy garlic sauce before tasting.